Christmas in Innsbruck: the fairytale atmosphere of the markets
During the Christmas period, Innsbruck dresses up in a magical and sparkling atmosphere . For this reason, the Austrian city, surrounded by the imposing snowy Alps, attracts thousands of visitors every year who are enchanted by the lights, the Tyrolean melodies and the stalls that invade the squares. In particular, the Innsbruck Christmas markets are truly unmissable: this year there are even seven of them, each with its own distinctive character, for a total of over two hundred stands!
- Christmas markets in Trentino: cities and dates
- Verona Christmas Markets: 3 reasons to go there
- Christmas night, what to do between traditions and the modern era
Innsbruck Christmas markets: the most suggestive squares to visit
The Christmas markets in Innsbruck were inaugurated on 15 November: the stalls will remain open to the public for the entire Christmas period until 6 January 2020. Here are the most suggestive markets to visit and the squares in which they are located:
- Christmas market in the old city : this market is installed in the center of the city with wooden houses full of delicious traditional food and handicrafts; in particular at the Köhleplatz square you can admire 24 puppets of characters from your favorite fairy tales;
- Christkindlmarkt am Marktplatz : in Marktplatz square, on the bank of the Inn river, there is this charming market with sixty stalls; every day from 15.oo onwards the little ones can have fun with the puppet theater and the tales of fairy tales;
- Christmas market of Maria - Theresien - Strasse : around 30 stands are set up along the elegant street dedicated to Maria Theresa of Austria, where you can enjoy Tyrolean culinary delicacies and all kinds of artisan products;
- Wilten market: this market held in Wiltener Platzl; it is surrounded by suggestive old houses and is characterized by many strictly regional specialties and the unmistakable Tyrolean style;
- St. Nikolaus Christmas market : in the oldest district of the city this market is installed where you can taste homemade biscuits of all kinds.